<span class="highlight">Tyre</span> <span class="highlight">Pressures</span>

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 24, 2010 at 20:00
ThreadID: 80928 Views:4885 Replies:11 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi

Just wanting to know what tyre pressure you guys use on (1) rough dirt roads and (2) Sandy roads.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Muddie - Tuesday, Aug 24, 2010 at 20:33

Tuesday, Aug 24, 2010 at 20:33
Depends on vehicle weight and type of tyre, myself in a 2005 100 series TD on 35x12.5 18 Procomp Tri wall muds loaded for outback touring.
Rough dirt roads 22 front 26 rear
Sandy roads start at 18 front 24 rear and have been as low as 12 all round.
AnswerID: 428324

Follow Up By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 24, 2010 at 21:15

Tuesday, Aug 24, 2010 at 21:15
I have done the same up to and return to Cape York in the last week or so. Same pressures as Muddie uses. I was towing a Kimberley Karavan with a Mazda Bravo B2500. The Karavan had tyres down to 26 psi as well.

Each hour I checked for heat increase and any damage but thankfully no damage and no heat build up.

Speed is another factor. More heat means slow down. By monitoring shock absorber temperature will give you a guide as well. If they are too hot to touch, slow down.

I have used this method for a long time.

Have fun

DW
FollowupID: 699043

Follow Up By: Member - Scoot (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 08:40

Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 08:40
Much the same on a trip to the cape in July 2010 M/t ATZ 26psi and the camper we ran 22 psi. We started with a lot higher pressures and keeped letting the tyres down bit by bit when we stopped for a drink or look at something, till we thought it felt like a smoother ride. In sand unless I have to, I never go below 16 psi. Did the Simpson with18psi all round didn't have any problems.

Cheers Scoof . :-)
FollowupID: 699081

Reply By: OREJAP - Tuesday, Aug 24, 2010 at 21:05

Tuesday, Aug 24, 2010 at 21:05
This is what I do.....Hope it helps

TYRE PRESSURES.

THE 4 PSI RULE.

Check your tyres prior to going on a trip.

Let's say ALL tyres read 36 psi and call that START PRESSURE.

Drive for an hour then stop and check the tyre pressures.

If your psi is 40 then you are spot on with your starting pressure.

If your psi is MORE than 4psi above start pressure, then that start pressure was too LOW.

ADD PRESSURE NOW.

If your psi is LESS than 4psi above start pressure, then that start pressure was too HIGH.

DROP 2 PSI NOW

FOOT PRINT RULE.

Sitting on a straight hard level surface measure the LENGTH of the rubber making road contact.

That is called the tyre "foot print".

Bitumen 180mm.

Gravel 220 to 240mm.

Sand 300 to 350.

OH HELL!! 400mm.

AnswerID: 428336

Follow Up By: PradOz - Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 12:01

Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 12:01
x 2 with what you have said, however, i think there maybe one point worth extra discussion with the 4PSI rule.

I am seeing more and more that says 4PSI is for standard tyres and it is a 6PSI rule with larger 4WD type tyres. Only thing is i am yet to find anyone who is willing to say when a tyre stops being of standard size and becomes a larger size. i suppose it comes down to that not so common stuff "common sense" I have read a few different things even just recently that backs it being a 6PSI rule not 4 on 4WDs. I even remember reading it online on a major motoring website (which escapes me just for now) also different tyre manafacturer brochures, cheers....
FollowupID: 699101

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Aug 24, 2010 at 21:46

Tuesday, Aug 24, 2010 at 21:46
With an F250 with quite a heavy load, and a Bushtracker caravan loaded for several months of travel, we went to 25 psi cold all round for roads such as the Gibb River. We ran 27 on the Tanami, and i think 25 would have given a better ride. Again 25 all round on sandy roads. Ran about 30 when road was constantly changing between dirt and bitumen. Only went below 25 on the F250 at Carawine Gorge :O (and used our Max Trax); we got out OK leaving the caravan at 25.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 428342

Reply By: murrayman - Tuesday, Aug 24, 2010 at 22:44

Tuesday, Aug 24, 2010 at 22:44
hi wilco, this is my take on tyre pressure, started many years ago with fj55, then a 60 series, then a 80 series, now a turbo diesal 100. I see a dirt track i run 40 psi. plus. never let my tyres down. after many thousands of ks i have destroyed 1 tyre only. chunk of grader blade. natturaly if i am in the dunes or on the beach i dump my tyre pressure but never on dirt tracks eg, birdsville, strezleki, bore track etc.. many years ago in broken hill i was getting a tyre fixed and said to the old fella at beaurepaires whats the best thing to do out here and he said " pump the bloody things up mate,not down". took his advise and it works for me. Blew a side wall out of my caravan tyre just out of alice a few years ago, getting a new tyre in alice the bloke said what pressure yu runnin, i told him 35 psi. he said yep thatl do it pump them up. my views only, cheers mm
AnswerID: 428352

Follow Up By: SDG - Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 02:30

Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 02:30
Have always run on 40psi, same as murryman for around 20years. Not a problem, never had a flat etc. Within 12months of gaining a replacment vehicle after my previos one was stolen, I destroyed all 4 tyres (new ones) that came with vehicle. Never had dealings with this brand before. All non repairable with the last one peeling like an orange, ripping off my wheel flair/mudguard in the process.

Tyre people all said it should not have happened at that pressure.

My thoughts would also suggest it would depend on brand, and age of tyres.
FollowupID: 699067

Follow Up By: getmethehelloutahere - Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 07:37

Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 07:37
When getting a flat repaired at Kununurra the owner of the tyre shop advised running at 40psi. He does, and all his locals, with very few problems. I followed this advice for the Gibb River Rd, with no problems.
FollowupID: 699073

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 09:00

Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 09:00
Count me in the 40psi group as well. I never lower pressure except for sand & have never had an issue. Every one of the folk I have come across with tyre
trouble in the bush were running low pressure, usually in combination with big
load & high speed. I travel rough dirt roads & sealed to go to my nearest town,
the idea of airing up & down to do that is a joke. The difference in running 25 psi & 35 psi in my daily driver is 25% less/more fuel......oldbaz.
FollowupID: 699083

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 04:22

Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 04:22
wilco

18-22 on rough dirt roads, depending just how rough

12 front 15 rear in sand

Naturally reduce speed accordingly

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 428361

Reply By: Voxson - Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 08:19

Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 08:19
Depends also if you are using tubed or tubeless tyres...

Remember with split rims you need higher pressure...
Because the pressure is measured from a more confined area with tubes...

Sand/Sandy roads i have 20 front and 30 rear....( example waa line ).......
Rough dirt roads i have 25 front and 35 rear.... (example mount dare to dalhousie ).......

Normal driving on road 60 front and 70 rear..... (example melb to adelaide )

There is some good info below in the replies about tubeless tyres......
AnswerID: 428367

Follow Up By: Voxson - Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 08:20

Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 08:20
Actually,, After having a better look there is poor advice also...
FollowupID: 699076

Reply By: ross - Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 09:25

Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 09:25
I went out to Steep Point (WA)last week and ran 32 psi on the corrugated section and about 20 on the really soft sand section.
Did it easy,smooth ride and no wheel spin.
Landcruiser weighed about 2700kg
AnswerID: 428377

Reply By: Member - Netnut (VIC) - Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 10:22

Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 10:22
Hello Wilco,
I used to use 38psi in the front tyres of my Hilux DC and 45 psi in the rears on rough dirt roads when carrying a heavy load. However, following a trip to Cape York and plenty of travel over rough roads in Central Australia - in the company of folk who rarely adjust their tyre pressures - I was alarmed at the level of damage to the tyres. Punctures weren't a problem, however fractures to the tread and torn lugs were.

I now run around 34 and 38 psi respectively on rough road and I've noticed a marked decrease in tyre damage, as well as a much softer ride. Ín essence, I let as much air out of the tyres as is needed to have the them just begin to bag.

On two crossings of the Simpson Desert I ran with 20 and 22 psi and significantly less when ascending Big Red.

I, too, have received mixed advice from tyre dealers. So, I just use a commonsense personal formula: less pressure = lesser load and lower speed = less shaking = less worry = less damage.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Netnut
AnswerID: 428385

Follow Up By: Member - TJ (VIC) - Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 13:46

Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 13:46
I agree with you Netnut. No one law should apply to all circumstances. I have done 1500k's on rough outback roads in the last 2 months. ie: Oodnadatta Track, GRR, Kalumburu Road, Mitchell Falls and more. Most of the time I ran 32 front and 34 rear which gave a slight bulge of the sidewall. Any more than that and I thought the sidewall would be too exposed. I suffered one sidewall cut for the whole trip which started to leak 800k's after I noticed it. Others with same tyres and vehicle with similar loads ran 24 and 26 psi carrying huge loads (looked like there sidewalls were going to touch the ground) and suffered as many as 7 punctures, all through the sidewall.

"So, I just use a common-sense personal formula: less pressure = lesser load and lower speed = less shaking = less worry = less damage. "

Great advice. Look at all of the circumstances and adjust accordingly.

TJ...
FollowupID: 699109

Reply By: Steve63 - Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 13:39

Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 13:39
There are only so many things that stuff a tyre. One is punctures the other is tyre failure usually because of heat build up. The lower the tyre pressure the more heat build up. The more flex because of rocks etc the more heat build up. My view is that the pressure is a trade off between the two ie failure and punctures. Yes you can decrease tyre pressure but you must reduce speed as well. If you pump the tyres up too high there is little flex and you can get punctures that you may not have got with the lower pressure. The conditions change the equation too. If you are in the Flinders there is a lot of sharp slate and the locals run there pressures at around 35 with an empty vehicle. I don't advocate pick a pressure by the way, this is just an example.

To tell you the truth I would rather have a puncture than any sort of tyre failure at speed. So I usually stick to manufactures recommendations as much as possible.

Yes you can play with the pressure but you need to know what the flip side is. I have tried all the options in the past and the 4/6psi rule is probably the most sensible. Saying x psi is not useful, the optimal pressure varies by vehicle, tyre and load. The 4psi rule takes this into account.

Basically to avoid punctures/tyre failure the best solution is to drive slower.

Sand is a totally different beast and you are usually driving slowly so let them down enough to get where you are going. I'm talking soft sand here not just a sand based track.

Steve
AnswerID: 428396

Reply By: Signman - Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 15:50

Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 15:50
On 'blacktop' 4.5 bar
Gravel roads 3.0 bar
Soft Sand 1.5 bar

AnswerID: 428409

Reply By: Member - Brenton H (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 20:05

Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 20:05
This is one of those debatable issues...debatable because there are a lot of variables that can apply to the individual circumstance..eg. Tyre age and type, gross weight on board and the nature and composition of the dirt road etc.

Normally I am accustomed to letting tyres down to 25-28 on the rougher dirt roads but if I have a heavy load on board I would probably increase to 32-34? at the back to compensate. Don't want them to bag too much. Some brands of tyres bag out more at the same pressure than others. The ground in the Flinders has a high percentage of sharp shale and any open pattern tyres (such as running muddies) are more susceptible to shale punctures between the tread and also side wall.

I let my tyres down on dirt roads simply because that's what a Tyre man in the bush told me early on in my 4WD career and what most of my 4WD mates do. Is it correct...well most of the opinion is probably for it while a few are against it. A mate of mine never lets his down...runs at 40 all the way (except soft sand of course). I would say he has had more punctures than me but then he tends to run his tread lower than me before replacement and buys a cheaper brand of tyre.

AnswerID: 428445

Sponsored Links